Connecting a Pendant Light Fitting
Removing the old pendant
1. Switch off the power at the consumer unit for the circuit concerned. If you have removable fuses at your consumer unit, switch off the power at the consumer unit and remove the fuse for this circuit.
2. Unscrew the cover of the ceiling rose carefully.
3. There may be a considerable number of wires which can be confusing. However, in this project, we are only concerned with the flex connections. All other conductors will remain as they are.
4. Identify the brown (live) and blue (neutral) conductors of the flex which are held in the outermost terminals. Release them from the retaining lugs, unscrew the terminals and remove the conductors.
5. If the flex has an earth conductor, slacken the earth terminal and remove only the earth of the flex.
Connecting the new pendant
6. Feed the flex of the new pendant light through the cover of the rose and then strip and prepare the conductors.
7. Insert the brown conductor into the live flex terminal and secure.
8. Insert the blue conductor into the neutral flex terminal and secure.
9. For earthed pendants, insert the green and yellow conductor of the flex in the common earth terminal alongside the other earths and secure. Ensure that all are fully housed with no exposed conductor showing.
10. Ensure that the flex conductors are securely held in the retaining lugs.
11. Double check all connections and replace the cover of the ceiling rose.
12. Once you are sure that all work has been completed correctly, switch the power back on at the consumer unit. In the case of removable fuses, replace the fuse for the circuit, and switch the power back on.
Comment on this Article.
Please use the Login
at the top of the page to comment.-
OR-Login With Facebook