Reducing the Risk of a House Fire
Every year in the UK there are as many as 40,000 home fires and a significant number of people were either killed or injured in these fires. In addition almost all of those fires are accidental. Following basic safety precautions can significantly help in reducing the risk of a house fire.
If your home is damaged by fire you can expect that it will take several weeks before you can return to your home, if you are able to at all. In addition insurance claims surrounding fires can take some time to be completed as the cause of the fire needs to be established. Clearly prevention is far better than cure. The following tips should help to keep you safe.
- Regularly inspect your electrical system. You may choose to get an electrician in to check your appliances on a yearly basis. Rented properties are required to have this done each year and it makes sense for us to do it with our own homes as well.
- Remove the plugs from your sockets when the appliance is not in use. This can prevent the plug from overheating.
- Never overload a socket or an adapter. Stick to one appliance per socket if possible unless you are sure it can handle more.
- Have your chimneys checked and cleaned every year. Make sure the fires are well guarded to prevent any sparks catching the carpet on fire.
- Keep flammable liquids such as paint thinners and turpentine in the shed rather than in the house.
- Do not smoke in bed or late at night if you are sleepy. Most household fires are started due to to smoking. Candles can also be fire starters.
- Keep a fire blanket in the kitchen to put out a fire if one starts. Never leave pots and pans if they are on the hob, especially if they contain hot oil.
- Above all install a smoke alarm on each level of your home and regularly check that it is working.
While these tips may seem rather obvious, many house fires are started each year due to these tips not being followed. It is all too easy to become complacent and with colder weather due to come around again soon, we all need to be aware of the pitfalls which could cause a devastating fire.
Comment on this Article.
Please use the Login
at the top of the page to comment.-
OR-Login With Facebook