Miele washing machines provide a function called “proofing.” It’s also sometimes referred to as reproofing or reactivating water repellency.
In the context of washing machines, proofing is the process of restoring the water-repellent properties of fabrics, especially those used in outdoor clothing like raincoats, ski wear, or hiking attire. These types of clothing usually come with a waterproof coating that can wear off with time and repeated washing. The proofing function helps to restore this water repellent quality.
Here’s a general guide on how to use it:
- Wash your clothes normally using appropriate detergent.
- Once the washing cycle is complete, do not remove the clothes from the washing machine.
- Apply a proofing agent to the fabric following the instructions on the proofing agent’s package. This is usually a separate product you’d have to buy and it might not be needed in every case.
- Select the proofing program on your washing machine and start the cycle. This typically involves a specific temperature and spin speed to reactivate the water-repellency of the fabric.
- Once the cycle is complete, you may need to dry the garments in a particular way to maximise the effectiveness of the proofing process, such as tumble drying or air drying, according to the garment’s care label.
Keep in mind that this process might vary depending on the specific model of the Miele washing machine and the type of clothing being proofed. It’s always a good idea to refer to the user manual of your specific washing machine model for detailed instructions.
ImpraProtect is a poplular proofing agent designed for use in Miele W1 washing machines. This agent is specially formulated to restore and improve the water and wind repellency of sportswear and waterproof garments while still retaining their breathability.
Here’s how you use it:
- Start by washing your garments as usual with a suitable detergent. Remove any detergent residues from the detergent dispenser.
- After the washing cycle is complete, leave the garments in the drum.
- Insert an ImpraProtect cap into the fabric conditioner compartment of your Miele W1 washing machine. The machine will automatically dispense the agent during the wash cycle.
- Select the “Proofing” program and start the cycle. This usually involves a specific temperature and spin speed to evenly distribute the proofing agent and reactivate the water repellency of the fabric.
- After the proofing cycle, carry out a thermal fixing process. This can usually be done by tumble drying the garments if their care labels permit it, or by ironing them. This process helps to ensure the proofing agent is well distributed and effective.
- Repeat the process every 2-3 washes, or as often as needed to maintain the waterproof and windproof properties of your garments.
This information is based on standard proofing process with Miele machines and may vary depending on the specifics of your washing machine model and the proofing agent you are using. Please always refer to the user manual of your washing machine and the instructions provided with the ImpraProtect caps for best results.